Saturday 22 March 2008

Easter Saturday... death

I have no intention of posting every day on this blog, but the first three days are pretty important - yesterday's post, made on Good Friday, was really all about the cross... Today is Easter Saturday - the in-the-middle, nothing-happening, still-in-the-tomb day.

My favourite song about death is "Letter to Alan" which appeared on Cold Chisel's best album "Circus Animals"... the song is about - no - here it is (the beginning, anyway):
When it's time for your reflection,
As you wait till help arrives,
See our good friend's face on the dashboard,
And you know you cannot leave that cab alive...
Do you know I'd reach for you, from later times?
Once I knew... now I'm walking in the dark.
Like bells, our dogs are yelling all across Centenial Park,
And the Sunday morning light just sends me blind,
And I'm only feeling useless, cause there's nothing I can blame:
Every person, thing, and circumstance, that moves this perfect day,
you've left behind.

There is something a bit stupidly incongruous about a fine-weathered Easter Saturday - why have the earthquakes stopped? "Gold's in the sky, and in my blue eyes - you know it feels unfair: there's magic everywhere".... stupid weather.
But, looking outside, we are having our first proper icy snowfall of the year.... hmm - not always stupid, perhaps

No comments: