Friday 28 March 2008

exalted in my body

If you come to the postgraduate study room for theology students at the University of Nottingham, you will discover that above the door on the way in, there is a little sign saying "The Ivory Tower" (actually, we are situated just beneath the clocktower in the Trent building)... and as you leave the study room, you will see a little sign above the door announcing your exit to "The Real World". The little signs were placed there a few weeks back by a particular Australian theology postgrad, as egged on by certain other inhabitants of this room.

Of course, the point is an ironic one... but it does provoke me to think each time I come in and go out. Why didn't Paul say what I wanted him to say: "It is my eager expectation and hope that... Christ will be exalted now as always in my study"... I'd be much more comfortable with that...

"In the bodily obedience of the Christian, carried out as the service of God in the world of everyday, the lordship of Christ finds visible expression and only when this visible expression takes personal shape in us does the whole thing become credible as Gospel message." Ernst Kasemann

No comments: