Monday 31 March 2008

Trip to Israel

Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving for Israel for two weeks, with a group from the Theology Department at the University of Nottingham. We'll be visiting significant locations, archaeological sites, and a conference on Early Judaism and the Gospel of John at Ben Gurion University, Beer-Sheva. I'll also have the opportunity to present a little discussion paper at the university, on "Issues Relating to the Literary Integrity of Sacred Texts, Using 1 Corinthians as a Case Study".

In short, I'll begin by summing up arguments against the unity of 1 Corinthians: Over the last hundred years, a number of influential scholars have argued that apparent incoherence in 1 Corinthians (inconsistencies, unclear flow, etc) is best explained by seeing the letter as a "letter-collection", pieced together by a redactor who wanted to create a systematic Paul-Corinth collection, for particular purposes. Having surveyed these applications of Redaction Criticism to 1 Corinthians, I'll then briefly explore three major hesitations that I have about this direction in 1 Cor scholarship: These hesitations are, respectively, methodological, hermeneutical, and exegetical.

In short, I don't think apparent literary incoherence in 1 Corinthians is best explained by appeal to Redaction Criticism - I believe we're on surer ground seeing the letter as a unity.

If you would like a more light-hearted illustration of Redaction Criticism, click here and read through the comments.

So be good while I'm away, and don't forget to vote in my poll!

4 comments:

Nathan Stitt said...

Have fun, I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

have a good time Matthew!

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt

Great to see your blog. Will be linking to my FAR MORE FAMOUS blog You even posted on my old friend Jonathan Gardner's blog. How many degrees of separation are we talking here?
Looking forward to reading your 1Corinthians stuff.

Matthew R. Malcolm said...

Hey there - thanks people - was definitely a worthwhile trip. Hmm you think your blog is more famous Steve? That sounds like a challenge... I'm going to divert all my energy from my research into making my blog famous...